New balancing system

Give your thoughts and ideas.

Moderator: Moderator

What do you think of the new balancing system ?

I prefer the old system and want the GAs to do team balancing.
44%
I like this system but the PR dif allowed need to be adjusted. (explain why and how much).
56%
I like this new system and I think a PR dif allowed of 100 is perfect.
No votes
I think that a team who is losing at score, but having more than 100 PR than other team should not be allowed to swap.
No votes

Total votes : 9

Re: New balancing system

Postby Interrobang » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:47 pm

This command only work in bases. Using it will instantly move you to the other team. And it work only if PR dif is over 100 and from the strongest team to the other, nor inversly.

This part is fine.

Arena portals will not let you enter if PR between the two teams is over 100. Server warn you and let you know you can use !teamswap command.

This part is not.

Totally against new addition, there is no option in that poll i would vote on
Shroom_
Interrobang

Postby NintendoJesus » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:11 pm

Tim888 wrote:Personally I don't really think that this new system will bring so many problems and I would like to give it a try. I see it as a useful tool to balance teams in an emergency case. I'm not sure about this, but maybe the PR difference should be around 125, to avoid exploits and make it work only in clear unbalance. Also, with the counterlogs, crashes, etc I would rather have the portal block and the teamswap available only if the PR difference stays over 100 (or 125) during 3 minutes for instance. Although this might be hard to do.

Moreover, maybe it should never happen in let's say the 5 last minutes of a round, to avoid the case that NintendoJesus mentioned where some player might go to keeper just to block the other team. More exploits are certainly possible, but I guess any player abusing it can get reported and fined as for anything else.

Anyway, this new system would make some unbalanced rounds rely on players' decisions who will have to choose who to balance. Hopefully the winning/overpowered teams can choose the most suitable player to be switched.

I don't really get why the "small" number of players should influence the decision to introduce this system. In my eyes, unbalancing problems happen far more often with a small number of players, and I would say that players who ("rage") log often leave their team in a more difficult situation. 4v6 is far more difficult for a team than 14v16. I understand that some players prefer farming a small team because they contributed to make some of their opponents log, but is that really what the whole server wants at this point? I'm also sure that many players prefer having a balanced round, even if they have to be switched to the losing team, than a boring round where your opponents who didn't leave spend more time buffing in base than they survive in the arena. You're glad to have beaten a team in a round, but they all left and there's 15 minutes left, so you either wait 15 minutes and you gain 5k more xp at the end, or try to win again in the other team. Is the second option so harsh? Of course, you might die a few times, you might not have 10 points won per points given by the end like you wish you had, but the day you'll be alone on the other team, maybe you'll prefer having someone joining you. :geek:

The autobalance system is good, having unbalanced rounds is rare, but if you play these weeks, you know that it happens. And I personally think that giving a try to a system which helps to balance these rounds (especially when there is no GA on) isn't a very bad idea.

PR is off by 100 or more a dozen times per round, maybe more. We're trying to gain more players, not push them away. How is it that a new player's ABILITY TO JOIN A GAME is somehow not a priority for you? This server is already as complicated for a new player as it could possibly be, and you mean to tell me that you want to introduce a situation that makes auto-balancing even more complicated?

It's already impossible to understand personal PR vs team PR, then we introduced auto-balance so you can't even join the team you want, and now you honestly think that impeding a player's ability to play the game is good for the server?

Seriously what are you smoking?
NintendoJesus
Keeper of War

Postby NintendoJesus » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:12 pm

Interrobang wrote:
This command only work in bases. Using it will instantly move you to the other team. And it work only if PR dif is over 100 and from the strongest team to the other, nor inversly.

This part is fine.

Arena portals will not let you enter if PR between the two teams is over 100. Server warn you and let you know you can use !teamswap command.

This part is not.

Totally against new addition, there is no option in that poll i would vote on

QFT.
NintendoJesus
Keeper of War

Postby Tim888 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:52 pm

NintendoJesus wrote:
PR is off by 100 or more a dozen times per round, maybe more. We're trying to gain more players, not push them away. How is it that a new player's ABILITY TO JOIN A GAME is somehow not a priority for you? This server is already as complicated for a new player as it could possibly be, and you mean to tell me that you want to introduce a situation that makes auto-balancing even more complicated?

It's already impossible to understand personal PR vs team PR, then we introduced auto-balance so you can't even join the team you want, and now you honestly think that impeding a player's ability to play the game is good for the server?

Seriously what are you smoking?

Seriously I am not smoking anything, and I really wonder why you're being so dramatic. Whatever you might say, PR is not off by 100 or more a dozen times per round. Not currently. And I suggested that the difference might have to be a bit higher. Anyway, I consider this new system almost non-related to new players in particular. If this system really forbids players from joining far too often, then it'll probably change. But don't worry, people didn't start standing in base during whole rounds just because of this new system. Welcoming and helping new players has occupied a good part of my BoW time during the past year, and if you think that I want to ruin their start on the server, you're wrong. I just personally don't think that this new system can affect them particularly in any way. It is complicated to start at BoW, but if new players are helped from the beginning and have fun, they stay. It has nothing to do with a balancing system that happens in a certain situation. Well, that's what I think.
Tim888

Postby NintendoJesus » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:03 am

I'm being dramatic because this is a dramatic change, and not for the better.
NintendoJesus
Keeper of War

Postby awet » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:57 pm

System isnt perfect, but it is on the right way.......
i think the pr difference shuold be around 150 -175 ...... to let space at who wants switch char, or just goes afk some mins or watever ..... target of system is to avoid stacked teams and nowdays is easy to have chars with high pr ( 70his pr)

PS: still needs players will to balance casters in game ( often is 2 casters vs none on purpose)
awet
Keeper of War

Postby Restos » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:01 pm

How can you stack casters on one team on purpose if KoW is auto balancing?
Restos
Keeper of War

Postby awet » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:09 pm

How can you stack casters on one team on purpose if KoW is auto balancing?

.... waiting favour pr, a newby that joins, an GA that try to balance round, end of round when ppls join in for reward, ask to a friend to balance u so u can join in team u prefer...... if u wanna do the dumb

PS: ... the times i found it and swapped 1 caster to balance it, i was also blamed for ruining their fun :roll:
awet
Keeper of War

Postby fuzzylilkitten » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:43 pm

Played a round the other day where evil had 4 AA's and good had a full team of tanks so I logged my healer and someone else logged a mage to combat the team full of AA's. You know what happened? Instead of the AA's getting swapped to even it out, my healer got swapped to evil for "balance" purposes. I went to keeper because I knew good was going to get steamrolled.

fyi, evil won that round 46 to 22. If I had stayed on my healer, the score would have been 46 to 0. gg balancing.
fuzzylilkitten
Keeper of War

Postby akdul2 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:50 pm

fuzzylilkitten wrote:Played a round the other day where evil had 4 AA's and good had a full team of tanks so I logged my healer and someone else logged a mage to combat the team full of AA's. You know what happened? Instead of the AA's getting swapped to even it out, my healer got swapped to evil for "balance" purposes. I went to keeper because I knew good was going to get steamrolled.

fyi, evil won that round 46 to 22. If I had stayed on my healer, the score would have been 46 to 0. gg balancing.

aa team ftw, who was it lol
akdul2
General of War

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestion