Divine spell version of "talk" scabbard

Give your thoughts and ideas.

Moderator: Moderator

Divine spell version of "talk" scabbard

Postby nukularpower » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:25 am

This thread is related to the one Darkwaffle made about Divine Might/Shield, though these suggestions are different enough that I figured I might as well make a new one for them. I have 2 ideas regarding these spells (outside of unnerf the shield/whatever combo already!!) that I think are good and pretty easy to implement. Hopefully at least the second one sounds good to everybody else!

1. A divine might/shield version of the "talk" scabbard of blessing. I imagine something like this would be relatively easy to set up, and I might just try it myself to see if it's possible since I'm pretty good at scripting in general - though I've never tried NWscript - just for kicks. This would have the effect of making those feats instant and much more usable (and as I pointed out in the other thread, they should have been instant to begin with.)

It could work like this - buy some epic misc item, which on use (or parchment use) checks your charisma and number of turn undeads, and sets your turns to 0 (or just quickcasts turn undead that many times, if thats the only way to bring it down.) Then when you say the chat macro, it would just give you the appropriate armor/damage boost without activating a feat, and decrement its counter. The talk scabbard works so well for me (outside of the "bless/aid bug" Ghul is always going on about, at least, but I don't know how that works) so this seems like the perfect fit for the same type of mechanism.

2. Another suggestion that I'm really hoping for is some way to set your divine spell in combat, or at least without going through the dialog, which is a massive pain. Of course it could still clear them all off or whatever so you have to recast them all, but it would be great if there was an item that had a use option for each conflicting spell (or a seperate item for each setting) that you could just set in a quickslot and use from there to immediately choose a different setting. Getting the dialog to show and then finding the right choice with enemies around is pretty iffy, and I imagine this would be on the easier side to make. I personally would find it extremely useful.
Last edited by nukularpower on Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
nukularpower
Keeper of War

Re: Divine spell version of "talk" scabbard

Postby Tim888 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:49 am

I like your first idea but I wonder if suddenly making both divine shield and divine might instant and therefore almost permanent wouldn't be a bit excessive. I'd really like it myself but I think making a talk version only for divine might would already be a great help. I also liked darkwaffle's idea, giving both bonuses from divine shield and divine might for a single cast.

I totally agree with your second point. I often change the divine spell of at least three of my characters, and using the player wand each time is annoying, especially since you can't use it when there are enemies nearby. Choosing the right divine spell is an important strategy and it would be great being able to change it quickly in the arena.
Tim888

Postby nukularpower » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:40 am

Ya, it could be a bit of a balance changer, though nothing really drastic - if you have divine shield, it's kinda stupid to fight without it, and I would argue that, as I said, they should have been instant to begin with - and are still limited by your turns either way. But I'd be happy with Waffles idea on that too, its just that it struck me how well the "talk" scabbard thing would work for it.

And yeah, REALLY hoping for that 2nd idea there.
nukularpower
Keeper of War

Postby Restos » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:45 pm

Making them instant would solve it on it's own (your first suggestion), if both were instant feats... No more scripting is required, it'd count the turn undead uses on it's own.
Restos
Keeper of War

Postby Tim888 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:05 am

Great to see the new misc with instant talk commands for divine shield and divine might. There's one problem though, apparently the two don't stack at the moment. When I use divine shield and then divine might, the ac bonus from divine shield disappears from what I found out.
Tim888

Postby nukularpower » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:12 pm

This is pretty awesome, and thanks for going with this suggestion!

EDIT: MAJOR PROBLEM HERE
- The ac bonus from the item stacks with using divine shield normally... please fix that one quick, before people like Northprodigy notice. Not sure if this happens with might, but worth checking. That is why I was thinking it should set turns to 0 :s

EDIT2: They only stack if you use the item dshield first, then cast it normally. Div mights don't stack at all, and as Tim said, you cant use dshield and div might from the item together.

A couple things, though:
- A duration check like the bless/aid scabbard would be nice, as the item currently makes it very easy to waste all your turns quite quickly (i.e. "You are already under this effect")
-when you are out of turns, it sends a /talk message "I am out of turns." This isn't really something you want your enemies to know, could it be a whisper or something instead? ^ ^
-There is nothing in the description about what commands to use, though I managed to guess them

Havent tried both together yet.
nukularpower
Keeper of War

Postby nukularpower » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:18 pm

Another quick bug report based on the newest version of the misc:

If you use !divshield before !divmight (the item versions) everything works great now. However, if you use !divmight before !divshield, the AC bonus does not get applied. Also, it seems you can run out of turns, but still use divine shield anyways - it whispers (and thanks for changing this) "i'm out of turns" but you get the effect anyways. Div might, on the other hand, does not have this bug.
nukularpower
Keeper of War

Postby Tim888 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:32 pm

I think I noticed another small problem with divine shield talk command. If you use it, and reuse it before it ends, the second use is apparently useless because you lose the ac bonus at the time when the first cast would have ended. Let's say, if it should last 8 rounds, if you use it again 5 rounds after the first cast it still ends 3 rounds later. I guess there could be a special fix for this, but a duration check as Slygar mentioned would also solve it. The same thing as for aid/bless, "you are already under the effect", would be great. At the moment you have to keep character sheet open to make sure that you reuse it only once the first cast is over, which isn't really practical.

Divine might doesn't have this problem from what I found out.
Tim888

Postby Judge Dead » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:34 am

The visual effect of divin shield still apply, but but turn undead isn't used.

JD.
Site Admin and devlopeur of BastionOfWar.
Judge Dead
Site Admin

Postby NintendoJesus » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:03 pm

This is an awesome change. Hope we get the kinks worked out, good job!
NintendoJesus
Keeper of War

Next

Return to Suggestion