Traps removal

Give your thoughts and ideas.

Moderator: Moderator

Traps removal

Postby Danko » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:47 am

I am not asking to remove 'em completely, just to get some method to reduce their number without the need to log-in a dexterity monk 20+ toon to run over 'em.

Rich toons have plenty of 'em anyway, so having "Find Traps" spell also to remove 25% of 'em would be reasonable:
- more ground to move for tanks, especially penalized ones like no improved evasion STR toons and no evasion dexters;
- less troubles to pass "walls of traps" to access certain areas;
- multiple uses may not remove all the traps (0 uses 100%; 1 use 75% for each trap to remain; 2 uses same area 56% remaining traps average; 3 uses 42%; 4 uses 31%; 5 uses 23%; etc).
Danko
Bantit Chief

Re: Traps removal

Postby solmyrian » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:18 am

Agreed.Taking 1 level of ranger and the ability to mord the number of times based on how rich the character is ridiculous.I just made a 20monk to run traps cause traps are getting out of hand.It is impossible to play a tank when rich trappers are on...
solmyrian

Postby Tim888 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:19 am

The problem with traps is that they are particularly annoying in small rounds, which are currently mostly what we are playing. Players have more time to set them between battles, and the other team doesn't always have a "trap runner" nor a cleric/bard/sorc/wizard to find them. A team really needs both of them to deal with traps, and just one usually isn't good enough. Moreover, everyone is basically richer today and therefore any char with the set traps skill quickly becomes as efficient as a dedicated trapper.

So I agree that something could be done about it. Not something big, but a limit to the number of traps in the inventory would be good for example. The improvement to the find traps spell that Danko mentioned wouldn't be bad but it wouldn't really help non-bard or cleric tanks who are to me already the chars most affected by traps.
Tim888

Postby solmyrian » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:44 am

Oh yes.1 more thing.DC 60 for mord traps is too low.Force people to take esf set traps at least.A DC 80 would be nicer...
solmyrian

Postby fuzzylilkitten » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:42 pm

Feels like it would be a whole lot easier just to increase the size of the traps in your inventory to say, the size of the trap kit itself. That would cut down on the number of traps you could carry by a substantial amount, whether the character has 20 million xp or 1 million xp. That change will reduce the number of traps without affecting the characters themselves. Personally I just use a mind destroyer silence and throw a clarity rod on when someone is trapping against my tanks.

Changing the DC or the complete removal of traps messes with the balance on the server as well as a lot of people would need to be refunded characters with knee jerk changes like that.

Then again, BoW has always, ALWAYS had traps since day 1, touching them after 10 years is a little silly, but that's just me.
fuzzylilkitten
Keeper of War

Postby Danko » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:43 pm

fuzzylilkitten wrote:Changing the DC or the complete removal of traps messes with the balance on the server as well as a lot of people would need to be refunded characters with knee jerk changes like that.

I am not asking for that, just to get some functional way of removing some traps. Traps are ok, people can come in with fresh buffs and traps help toons already in the arena. Main trouble are "walls of traps" that cannot be removed/avoided painless by most tanks.
Danko
Bantit Chief

Postby solmyrian » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:22 am

Just revert find traps spell back to it original description:D
solmyrian

Postby Judge Dead » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:12 pm

Add a DC check for each trap in field of the spell to remove it or not maybe ?

JD.
Site Admin and devlopeur of BastionOfWar.
Judge Dead
Site Admin

Postby Danko » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:21 pm

Only reasonable DC check for "Find Traps" I can see is range-based, or just random 1d4 (25% removal success) without considering range.

Range-based DC check for each trap in range could look like this:

Set Traps DC (Skill points+Feats+Modifiers+1d20; auto-20 roll non-combat) vs Find Traps DC (Caster level+Caster INT/CHA/WIS modifier+1d20+30[-3 each meter distance from caster]). No auto-20 for Find Traps DC out of combat, remove somatic component to help bards.
Danko
Bantit Chief

Postby sonicle » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:22 am

could also make a search + d20 roll vs set trap dc of a certain trap to render the trap useless after walking over it. sf set trap adds +2 to the dc and esf +5.

numbers are not worked out or anything, just a suggestion, this way a character would have to sacrifice a little for beeing save vs traps without having imp evasion and huge flex.
sonicle
General of War

Return to Suggestion