Greater Rod of XXXXXX

Give your thoughts and ideas.

Moderator: Moderator

Greater Rod of XXXXXX

Postby NintendoJesus » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:11 pm

Freedom, Restoration, Death Ward, Clarity.
NintendoJesus
Keeper of War

Re: Greater Rod of XXXXXX

Postby Angus31 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:59 pm

agree
Angus31
General of War

Postby Tim888 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:36 pm

Greater Rod of Restoration already exists, but I agree for the others. In some cases, you don't have enough quickslots to fill in the 5-6 necessary rods of clarity for example.
Tim888

Postby darkwaffle » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:05 pm

I like them in terms of convenience, but rods are already extremely powerful in terms of how easily they can shut down/nullify/fix just about anything casters are capable of doing already. I think making self-buffs that much more prolific would have repercussions for DC casters, whom already suffer being ineffectual against just about anyone who gears for saves or carries a few rods as is.
goddamn 1s
darkwaffle
Keeper of War

Postby Judge Dead » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:25 pm

Freedom, Restoration, Death Ward, Clarity.

Since they exist as single use/day, i don't see any reasons to don't implement the greater version of them, however i think it can be a good compromise to increass a bit the weight on theres new rods.

JD.
Site Admin and devlopeur of BastionOfWar.
Judge Dead
Site Admin

Postby akdul2 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:53 am

i almost feel the existance of freedom rods is a bit op considering the amount of classes that receive fom as a spell. (two caster classes and two full bab classes). the single cast rods that rob quickslot spaces are definitely a benefit for druids, who have limited spells slots and therefore dispell slots...

i think it would be nice to radically lower the duration for freedom and clarity spells casted from rods.
akdul2
General of War

Postby fuzzylilkitten » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:56 am

I've always been of the opinion that rod buffs shouldn't even get a dispell check. If it's hit by a dispell it should be gone. Casters have a fairly limited number of dispells to begin with, whereas a rich character can have an infinite supply of immunity. Maybe a bit drastic but that's just me. Perhaps just greater dispell and mords wouldn't have to make a check.
fuzzylilkitten
Keeper of War

Postby NintendoJesus » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:46 pm

fuzzylilkitten wrote:I've always been of the opinion that rod buffs shouldn't even get a dispell check. If it's hit by a dispell it should be gone. Casters have a fairly limited number of dispells to begin with, whereas a rich character can have an infinite supply of immunity. Maybe a bit drastic but that's just me. Perhaps just greater dispell and mords wouldn't have to make a check.

"Buff casters, nerf melee."

Great idea :roll:
NintendoJesus
Keeper of War

Postby fuzzylilkitten » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:25 pm

NintendoJesus wrote:"Buff casters, nerf melee."

Great idea :roll:

It would be one thing if builds had access to the spell to cast it, I have no issue with it being hard to dispell then. It actually required some investment to grab the immunity. However, every character being able to buy DW/FoM for 20k and 90% of the other builds having access to PFA rods and making it so random to dispell is what I have an issue with.

For example, yesterday Shroom used a freedom rod on himself, it was his only buff. I dispelled it in one try. He reapplied it and I dispelled it again in one try. The 3rd time he reapplied FoM, it took 11 dispells to get rid of it. ELEVEN! It's insanity that a 20k rod can force a caster to use 75% of his dispells to get 1 buff, only to have it be reapplied the second it's dispelled. Not to mention that every player on your team can purchase multiple rods and use them on teammates so even after you get the buff you want, someone can simply remove it via another rod and force you to try the dispell roulette again.
fuzzylilkitten
Keeper of War

Postby NintendoJesus » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:04 am

The could make rod buffs a swift action with unlimited uses and casters would still be overpowered.
NintendoJesus
Keeper of War

Next

Return to Suggestion